I started with affiliate marketing a couple of years back. I still consider myself as a beginner as there is lot yet to be learned and practiced. My path of affiliate marketing has seen many ups and downs. When I started, I just wanted to kick-start with lots of traffic and lots of commissions.
That did happen partially but it took me about six months to make my first sale and earn my first commission. That sale I earned was from promotion of Standard Theme 3 which unfortunately now has been terminated by its designers. After that it was 2-3 sales per week.
During this journey of mine, I learned lots of Do’s and Don’t s and I am going to share with you some of the never do mistakes which might be the reason for your failure in affiliate marketing.
5 Things Which Lead You to Failure in Affiliate Marketing
- You Only Sell and Promote :- If you make your blog a TV advertisement rather than helping out people, it is very rare that you will ever make a sale in your affiliate marketing campaign. The very basic task of an affiliate marketer is to take a visitor to the product’s sales page or letter.
But sometimes this might not be enough to convert that visitor into a potential customer. What you need to do is to write two to three articles explaining in detail what your product offers, what kinds of problems and issues will it target, who can benefit from it and who not, what are the solutions offered by the product and much more. You need to describe in detail if there are any hidden costs of the affiliate product you are promoting otherwise your visitors will feel cheated and they will rarely look up to you again for any solution.
- Selling Mobile Phone on a Weight Loss Blog :- There is no relevance in promoting something out of your niche on your blog or website no matter how high the commissions are. A person looking for weight loss solutions on your niche blog for weight loss will be barely interested in buying a new smartphone from your website. This might be killing your efforts and your affiliate marketing campaigns since you are selling something which you are not supposed to and for which your blog is not the suitable place.
- You are Selling the Wrong Product :- Even if the product you are promoting belongs to your niche, you have to be extremely careful in your choice. This is because there are thousands and thousands of product available for every niche. Some will be having a very tough competition as they would be having a high conversion rate. Some of them would be too low in the standard to include them in your affiliate marketing campaign. Hence you need to choose the one which is moderately good on the competition and has a good conversion rate too. You can check the product’s reviews on Warrior Forum before starting to promote it as your main affiliate product. Warrior Forum is the one which is highly relied upon for honest reviews of products of every niche.
And once you are done with choosing the right product better stick to it in your complete affiliate campaign. This will give your readers a positive feeling about the righteousness and usability of that product.
- Non-Availability of Essential Tools :- To start a journey you should be adequately equipped with essential tools and stuff so as to make your journey smooth and easy. Same goes with affiliate marketing too. There are some essential tools like link tracker and affiliate link cloaker which you need to have at your disposal before starting with your affiliate marketing campaign. These tools will help you increase conversions, keep your commissions safe and ultimately make more profit. If you have not been using these tools, then you are certainly leaving money on the table for no reason.
- Sales But No Profit :- Sometimes affiliate marketers manage to generate sales out of their blog or website yet they are not able to generate any profit out of their campaign. This happens in only two scenarios :-
1. Your Incurred Costs Exceed Your Sales’ Commissions :- You might be paying more in advertising in your affiliate marketing campaign than that campaign is able to generate profit for you. If that is the case, then it is time that you revise your campaign and take help from some expert or professional, if possible.
2. Sales Getting Returned :- Most of the products on the internet now have a 30 or 45 day return or refund policy with them. If the sales you made are getting refunded or returned in large proportions, then you need to think again on the product you have chosen as you might be wasting your time and efforts in promoting the wrong product.
These are some common but deadly mistakes which you must avoid on any term. It is better to start by creating free affiliate marketing campaign and then slowly move towards paid advertising once you excel in this field.
How do you manage your affiliate campaigns? Is there anything I missed? Please feel free to drop your views and inputs below.