There is no rocket science in child theme. Child themes are those themes which inherit their basic design and programming from parent theme.
Its as simple as that.
But the next question that would arise is then why do we need child themes?
Child themes can be used to create, tweak and customize the site design and other functionalities. A child theme can be used to create a design which is unique for your blog.
Let me throw some more light on the benefits of using a child theme for your WordPress site.
5 Benefits of Using a Child Theme
- More Reliable :- Just imagine a situation. You tried to edit your parent theme or template and made some error. Your whole site will be down to the earth at that very moment. And until you identify and correct the error from your parent theme, it will remain like that only. But if this was the case with child theme, you could have easily switched to your parent theme and your site would have remained live. Hence, with child themes, you are always free to try and customize your design and make changes without any fear.
- Update Easily Without Losing Changes :- Generally, WordPress themes are updated once or twice a month to remain updated with the latest SEO patterns or to fix bugs and errors. If you make changes on your parent theme and update it, you will lose all the changes you made and all the work will have to be redone. But with the child theme, all the customizations made are retained even if you update the parent theme.
- Easily Creatable :- If you have a programming background and go easy with the coding and that kind of stuff, you can easily create a child theme for your base or parent theme. Alternatively, WordPress once comes to your rescue with plugins to help you create child themes for your site. You can use Orbisius Child Theme Creator for this purpose. Though I never put my hands on it, I hope it will work just fine.
- Proven Results :- Many bloggers have given their blogs awesome designs which are highly unique and stand out from others in the crowd. Almost every blog which is appreciated for its design and rich user-experience uses a child theme developed on a great framework or parent theme.
- Numerous Options Available :- There are many frameworks or parent themes which when used with a child theme can give a killer look and boost to your blog. One such framework is Genesis Framework which has about thousands of child themes available to use. All themes including the framework are rich in SEO and are highly efficient in every aspect.
I am also searching for a child theme for this blog. Any suggestion from you is most welcomed below.